Careers in Health Administration
Health care is an industry that is going through rapid change and growth; therefore, skillful executives are needed in a wide range of health care organizations. For more information on career opportunities in this field, visit the following sites:
- An article from Physician's Money Digest analyzes data from members of the American College of Healthcare Executives to determine the most common specialties and service areas.
- American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) is an international professional society of more than 30,000 health care executives who lead hospitals, health care systems, and other health care organizations.
- The National Capital Healthcare Executives (NCHE) is an organization of professional health care executives from the National Capital region. It serves members who represent a wide variety of health care institutions including hospitals, health agencies, foundations, consulting firms, military, and other federal and state government agencies and related private organizations. NCHE is the local chapter of the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), serving Northern Virginia and the District of Columbia.
- Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) is a global network of colleges, universities, faculty, individuals, and organizations dedicated to improving health by promoting excellence in health care management education. AUPHA fosters excellence and innovation in health care management education, research, and practice by providing opportunities for member programs to learn from each other, by influencing practice, and by promoting the value of health care management education.
- The Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) is the premier membership association for professional administrators and leaders of medical group practices. The mission of MGMA is to continually improve the performance of medical group practice professionals and the organizations they represent.
- The American Academy of Medical Administrators (AAMA) is an association of multidisciplinary health care management at all levels, within all types of health organizations. Their vision is to advance excellence in health care leadership through individual relationships, multidisciplinary interaction, practical business tools, and active engagement.
- The United States Department of Labor has posted an Occupational Outlook Handbook for Medical and Health Service Managers.