FAQs for Prospective Students

What accreditations do our programs have?

George Mason University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Programs in the Department of Health Administration and Policy are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education, the Association of University Programs in Health Administration, and the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Learn more about our accreditations.

How long does it take to complete the program?


The Bachelor of Science in Health Administration requires 120 credits and is typically completed in four years. Students may complete the program in less than four years if they are enrolled full-time and complete summer courses in addition to completing courses during the spring and fall semesters.


The department’s graduate degree programs can be completed on a part-time or full-time schedule, and most programs can be completed in 2-3.5 years. An accelerated pathway is available for students interested in full-time enrollment. For the exact number of credits required for your program, consult the University Catalog

Graduate students have six years to complete their master’s program. Graduate students who do not enroll in courses for two or more consecutive semesters may need to re-enroll in their program upon their return. For questions about re-enrollment, contact the Office of the Registrar.

Can I transfer credits from another university?


Undergraduate students may be able to transfer credits previously earned at another accredited college or university. Students should use George Mason’s transfer credit search engine to determine if credits are transferrable. Additional assistance is available from the Center for Academic Advising, Retention, and Transitions.


Graduate students may transfer up to 12 semester hours from another accredited college or university to a master’s program within the department. Transfer credit policies are available on the George Mason Admissions website.

Once admitted to George Mason, students must obtain approval to take graduate courses at another accredited institution for transfer to their master’s program. George Mason students may take up to six semester hours at area universities through the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area. This provides students with the opportunity to take classes not available at George Mason while paying George Mason’s tuition rates.

When are classes offered?


The department’s undergraduate courses are offered at the Fairfax Campus weekday mornings, afternoons, and evenings. Some courses are also offered online.


The department’s on-campus graduate courses are typically offered weekday afternoons and evenings and occasionally on Saturdays. Some classes are offered online. Most of the courses are offered at the Fairfax Campus; however, some policy-centric courses are offered at the Arlington Campus. Additionally, some courses have a hybrid format, meaning they meet in person every other week and students participate in online learning activities during the weeks they do not meet in person.

Fully online options are available for the Master of Health Administration and Master of Science in Health Informatics.

Where can I find course descriptions?

All department course descriptions are included in the University Catalog.

Course descriptions and syllabi for the MS in health informatics are also available through the MS in health informatics program page.

What are Mason’s tuition rates?

George Mason’s current tuition rates for undergraduate and graduate programs are available on the Student Accounts’ web page.

What tuition assistance is available?

George Mason’s Office of Student Financial Aid provides information on available scholarships and aid packages.

Graduate students are eligible for Graduate Research Assistantships. When faculty have funded research and need research assistants, the positions are advertised to students within the department.

How do I receive additional information?


Undergraduate students can complete an online form to request more information about undergraduate admissions and programs.


Graduate students can complete an online form to request more information about specific graduate programs and to receive periodic updates about information sessions and special graduate admissions events.

How do I apply?

Most admissions applications for undergraduate, graduate, and international students are handled through Mason's online application system

Applications to the on-campus MHA program should be submitted via the Health Administration, Management & Policy Centralized Application Service (HAMPCAS). Before starting an application, please review the HAMPCAS FAQs.

Prospective students must apply here for the fully online MHA program  or apply here for the fully online MS in health informatics program